Buddha bowl is an easy way of getting a balanced meal so if you’re into to clean eating then this UNIFIED recipe is the one for you. It’s cheap, pretty and vegan – and very Instagram worthy.
What is a buddha bowl?
Buddha bowls are made up of grains (rice or quinoa), vegetables (I prefer root vegetables), some healthy fat (peanut dressing, avocado), protein (chickpeas, spinach) and salad extras like cucumber, tomatoes, greens etc.
The recipe below is vegan, but if you’re a meat lover then feel free to add grilled chicken or salmon to your bowl.
For the curried beans:
Canned chopped tomatoes
Mild curry powder
Chilli flakes (optional)
- On medium heat, put some olive oil in a pan and cook the minced garlic until fragrant
- Dice half a carrot into cubes, add to the pan and cook until slightly soft
- Add the butter beans and chickpeas – saute for 2-3 minutes
- Pour in the can of chopped tomatoes and mix thoroughly
- Add 1 tablespoon of curry powder but you can alter this according to your preference. Mix until dissolved
- Allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes
- Done! You can add chilli flakes if you like a bit of heat. Chopped parsley goes well to garnish, too.
- Set aside
- Put a pan on medium heat, add rice and water (according to packet instructions)
- Add salt, pepper and garlic into the pan with rice and water
- Cook until rice is fluffy and soft
- Set aside
- Lay non-stick baking paper into a microwavable plate
- Place as much kale as you can on top of the baking paper
- Drizzle maple syrup on top and mix until most of the kale is covered by the syrup
- Sprinkle some water to retain moisture
- Microwave for 2-3 minutes, depending on the wattage of your microwave
- Set aside to cool down
Assembling the bowl:
- Add a heap load of brown rice to the side of your bowl, then sprinkle some chia seeds on top
- Lay the curried beans beside it. You should have a lot of the rice and curried beans as these 2 are the main components of your Buddha bowl
- Arrange the sweet kale along the side of your bowl
- Chop some cucumber and avocado. Scatter around the bowl, whatever looks pretty
- Take a photo for Instagram then enjoy!